[tor-talk] evidence that Tor isn't "amoral"?

Apple Apple djjdjdjdjdjdjd32 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 21:16:24 UTC 2015

On 10 Jul 2015 20:35, "Drew Fustini" <pdp7pdp7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't believe that the majority of Tor traffic is "amoral", but I
> would like to find data to support my belief.

If you are looking for what may be considered "legitimate" uses of Tor here
are a few threads you can follow.

There is obviously the anti-censorship side to it which applies to all
countries not just China.

Then there are "good guy" investigators who need to follow online leads
without tipping off the "bad guys" who is on to them. You can find a
reference of incident response investigators using Tor for this purpose in
a book called The Malware Analysts Cookbook. I have also heard stories of
Law Enforcement using Tor for the same reason but you will have to dig for
your own source on that. It's quite obvious really though, if I run an
illegal site, and I start seeing FBI IP addresses in my apache logs I will
know something is up.

And a popular theory on why Tor was originally funded by the US government
is that Tor may actually be used by the intelligence community. Spies are
generally not James Bond with 10,000 gadgets and a licence to kill and blow
up helicopters. They breath the same air as us, walk the same streets as
us, use the same computers as us and use the same internet as us. It is not
a stretch to guess that spies and their informants rely on Tor as well.

As this thread has probably shown you, everyone has different and sometimes
conflicting views on morality so you will need to tailor your answer to the
specific person asking the question if you want to keep him happy.