[tor-talk] OFTC and Tor

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Wed Jul 8 23:48:35 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 5:51 AM Pickfire <pickfire at riseup.net> wrote:

> I hope that there is also a way to use tor with freenode other than
> oftc.
>
> I wanted to use tor with freenode and oftc in pidgin. And it seems that
> the method "really hope that the exit I have isn't blocked" have a very,
> very low probability. (about 10%)
>
> I still haven't figured out how to use SSL in freenode and oftc.

I am fairly sure Freenode allows access through Tor if you are registered
and authenticate with SASL. There might be some additional step required
beyond simple authentication; I recall Tor users complaining about the
requirement. But they may have just been complaining about Javascript or
the need to use a valid email address? Not sure if SSL is required to auth,
but you should really be using it. You need to use port 6697, 7000, or 7070
for SSL.