[tor-talk] pdf with tor

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Wed Jul 8 12:07:30 UTC 2015

On 04-07-2015 01:45, Mirimir wrote:
> On 07/03/2015 02:36 PM, Lars Luthman wrote:

>> Can PDF.js bypass Tor? How? I thought it used the same networking code
>> and proxy settings as the rest of Firefox.
>
> Maybe so. But without firewall rules, there's risk. There's also risk of
> downloading the PDF, and opening it with another app.

And if you _do_ download and archive it, you will have to be careful not
to open it in a free environment later. Months later you may have
forgotten that this PDF document was downloaded using TOR.

If it is just plain text, you could convert it with pdftotext or
antiword and delete the original.

Besides PDF and DOC, E-books are critical.
When you download an ebook using TOR it is tempting to read them on your
Kindle, Nook, or mobile phone/tablet. But they can contain external
links, and the reader typically has full Internet access and if on a
phone both the ebook reader and you ISP knows your phone number.

--
Niels Elgaard Larsen