[tor-talk] Tor -> VPN Clarification

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sat Jan 31 02:25:38 UTC 2015

On 01/30/2015 06:19 PM, Seth wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:54:06 -0800, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
>> Yes, he does. But I don't get why. Maybe someone can explain.
>
> If I remember correctly it has to do with the ability to correlate VPN
> traffic on the last 'leg' of the connection from you to your VPN
> provider vs traffic on the last leg of journey from Tor exit to your
> desired destination.

How is that any worse than adversaries correlating traffic between your
ISP and entry guards with traffic between exit nodes and destinations?

Tor is by definition vulnerable to such adversaries.

I've been thinking about testing such matters. What's the best
open-source software for traffic correlation? I've read just about all
of the relevant stuff on Free Haven, and haven't seen anything that's
actually usable without coding from basic principles. I've played with
dot products and rolling windows, but it's far too tedious and slow.