[tor-talk] Firefox Hello and privacy

spencerone at openmailbox.org spencerone at openmailbox.org
Wed Jan 28 22:54:04 UTC 2015

Lara,

Lara lara.tor at emails.veryspeedy.net:
> I have checked the net high and low. And the talk is mostly about where
> you find the smiley icon to put on the bar.
>
> How does it work? How does it respect privacy? Do you know anything
> about this new thing?

It appears to be and audio and video over IP service. You can read more
about it here:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/legal/terms/firefox-hello/

In general, Mozilla doesn't respect your rights, this includes
"privacy".  Though the Hello conversations themselves are "encrypted",
all other data is up for grabs.

As for how it works, you click the face bubble and then click start
conversation.  Though there isn't really a quality experience, it
appears as if you copy and paste the link into the browser, then share
the link with others.  Though the Terms describes the use of contact
lists, I didn't experience any option to do anything with adding
contacts.

A cryptographer is needed to verify the quality of Hello conversation
privacy.

Wordlife,
SpencerOne