[tor-talk] Torbirdy

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Tue Jan 27 01:02:17 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-26 03:10, Cypher wrote:
> Also, since the only
> data leaked seems to be the local datetime, I'd think it's not a massive
> concern since my local datetime is shared with a few million other people.

While true, the time*zone* is also mentioned, and timezones can be a
more interesting kettle of proverbial fish. Timezone rules vary from
region to region, and so upon observing the dates your DST rules apply,
I might determine your country or geopolitical location more
specifically then just a 1/24th slice of the planet (plus all those
funky :30 zones)

More complicated is when you travel, if you update the timezone on your
machine, this information is leaked too, so over time, your timezone
information may actually reveal your travel to a very broad degree.
Chances are that it would only take a very small number of
cross-timezone trips for a gov't actor to correlate your timezone shifts
with your travel itinerary, assuming such information is made available
now or in the future.

For most people, it's probably not a major risk, but for those who's
livelihood or freedom relies upon anonymity, this is just the sort of
leak that Big Data can use.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/