[tor-talk] How to make TBB useable as "system Tor", as Tor, Vidalia, pluggable transports system level replacement?

Mon Jan 26 19:45:08 UTC 2015

Libertas:
> On 01/24/2015 11:51 PM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> This feature wouldn't make anything worse for regular TBB users. Just
>> those who would like to use it as "system Tor" would be free to do so.
>
> Remember that every TB user that is identifiable because they don't go
> with the flow is one less fish in the school.

I am aware of that. This feature wouldn't make anything worse for anyone.

> I hope someone who was involved in making these decisions comments on
> this. I don't see any need to make these changes, as they will only harm
> the browser's anonymity.

They don't.

> Also, have you checked out the network settings in the Advanced tab of
> TB's preferences? By default, it's configured to use its SOCKS proxy at
> 127.0.0.1:9150. If you need a different configuration for Whonix, maybe
> you could just patch the browser config as needed?

This is unrelated here. The idea is not to even need start Tor Browser.

> Being more explicit
> about your ultimate goal would help.

In other words:

Being able to use the components, tor-launcher, Tor and pluggable
transports that come with the TBB tarball for system use on Debian. For
use without or with the Tor Browser. Being able to use these components,
without being forced to run Tor Browser.

As for "why" please refer to the "why" part of my original post.