[tor-talk] Which PTs shall we prioritize for inclusion in Tails?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Jan 21 23:36:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:06:01AM +0100, Philipp Winter wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:26:12PM +0100, intrigeri wrote:
> > Assuming an ideal world in which they involve an equal amount of work,
> > among scramblesuit, meek, flashproxy and obfs4, which ones should we
> > prioritize our efforts on?
>
> You shouldn't prioritise ScrambleSuit because it's superseded by obfs4.

And I would similarly suggest meek over Flash Proxy, at least while Flash
Proxy requires that the Tor user be reachable, i.e. not be behind a NAT
or firewall.

(In the glorious future Flash Proxy + uProxy will use WebRTC transport
and be an unstoppable force for good, or something like that, but we
don't live in that future yet.)

Since you have obfs3 already, you might find meek to be a useful first
priority, since it's quite different from obfsx. And then obfs4 would
be next in line because obfs3 is becoming deprecated (in favor of obfs4)
as time passes.

--Roger