[tor-talk] force apt-get & yum updates through tor?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Jan 19 22:07:20 UTC 2015

On 01/18/2015 15:23, BM-2cTjsegDfZQNGQWUQjSwro6jrWLC9B3MN3 at bitmessage.ch
wrote:
> I'm wondering what the best way to force yum and apt-get through tor
> is, in fedora 21 and debian 7.7 respectivly. Are any of the following
> least likely to produce dns or other leaks, or considered safest?

The only way to be sure there are no leaks is to run the whole OS in VM
that has no internet access but through Tor.
I used two ways to achieve this:
1. Use Whonix gateway to connect your VM. This requires another VM
running, but is very easy to set up.
2. Use combination of tor setup (TransListenAddress and
DNSListenAddress), and firewall rules to direct traffic from your VM on
its own virtual net to Tor running on the host.

Yuri