[tor-talk] What relay does really help the TOR project?

l.m ter.one.leeboi at hush.com
Fri Jan 16 22:48:14 UTC 2015

"Josef 'veloc1ty' Stautner"  wrote:Long story short: What type of
relay helps the TOR project more?
Exit-Relay or Middle-relay? Is it really the "job" from TOR to provide
an exit to the normal internet resources or should the focus be on
hidden services?
First, thank you for operating a Tor node. Second, I would like to
suggest a simple solution to your question. Tor is already designed to
make the best use out of any node. The most important thing is to make
your node the most useful you can manage. Try to keep it stable and
running. If your service provider allows you to operate an exit make
your exit policy reflects this. I'm not trying to question your stance
on allowing porn. What I think is important is that some random user
of Tor may have stumbled onto your exit and, noticing it's usefulness,
may have targeted your node using dotexit notation. I'm sure lots of
users single out good exits in this opportunistic manner and for many
reasons.

That aside, if you make your node as stable and useful as you can then
the algorithms take over. Your node will be used in the best way
possible by default. See the dir-spec and path-spec [1] for more
details. The benefit of this approach is that if network conditions
change your node may change it's primary role on an hourly basis.

-- leeroy

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree