[tor-talk] What relay does really help the TOR project?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Fri Jan 16 21:24:39 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-16 12:40, Josef 'veloc1ty' Stautner wrote:
> The past days I made some short tcpdump traces to find out what people
> use TOR for. Well, it's kind of sad. A short analyse of the hostnames
> gave me the result: 80% Porn, 10% site crawling, 5% Wordpress comment
> spam and 5% "human" traffic.
> I don't get why people use TOR for watching porn.

For all the same reason as any other type of traffic?

Porn is illegal (or quite restrictive) in many parts of the world, and
if you know your ISP is observing traffic, why give them information
that could be potentially used against you, even if only to embarrass you?

I have trouble seeing why it matters what type of traffic people are
generating, unless it's abusive toward any of the networks involved
(including the internet at large).

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/