[tor-talk] HardwareAccel: Current proper use???

usprey usprey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 09:39:49 UTC 2015

"HardwareAccel" option.

> *HardwareAccel* *0*|*1*
>
> If non-zero, try to use built-in (static) crypto hardware acceleration
> when available. (Default: 0)

I could not find a definitive answer in the archives or in
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/log/?qt=grep&q=hardwareaccel&showmsg=1
.

https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#aes-ni_crypto_acceleration claims
no intervention is needed in regards of aes-ni accelaration, but I would
like to add an explanation or source to this recommendation.

Question_1:
If my CPU supports and have loaded aesni_intel on linux with OpenSSL is
1.0.1.j-1, should I leave HardwareAccel off or explicitly enable it?

Question_2:
What does "*built-in (static) crypto hardware acceleration*" refer to?
Dedicated hardware, CPU-support or...?

Best regards