[tor-talk] TorBirdy prevents Thunderbird loading multi-OS bug: Is TorBirdy dev. dead?

KevinB at ruggedinbox.com KevinB at ruggedinbox.com
Wed Feb 25 16:14:14 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-25 06:56, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
>>   and #13982.
>>
>>   Yeah, it's a huge problem - happened to a friend, and ultimately led
>> to me
>> not redistributing TorBirdy.
>>
>>   But solving this bug is not as straightforward as it seems, as Jake
>> points
>> out.  Especially for Windows, it's not always easy to know what else
>> the
>> user is running and where the conflict might be.  In my friend's
>> experience,
>> it completely broke Thunderbird, and he had to back up his emails and
>> reinstall.  When that happens, it's not even easy to figure out what
>> version
>> of Thunderbird they were running.
>>
>>   Really curious as to the reason this bug happens, and how often,
>> because
>> right now it seems like kind of a mystery.
>
> As we have pointed out in the tickets related to this issue, the reason
> we have not released a fix is because we have not been able to
> reproduce
> the bug, at least based on the information we have. Many users have
> reported that they fixed this by creating a new profile and then
> installing TorBirdy which leads me to believe that this may be related
> to a conflict with some preference we are setting.
>
> To all users who have this issue: try creating a new profile and see if
> that works for you? If it does, please comment on the relevant tickets.
> Bonus points if there is something on the error console that is worth
> looking at (Ctrl+Shift+J).
>
> --
> Sukhbir

I have posted in #14007, that using a new profile allows Thunderbird to
load when TorBirdy is enabled (Windows 7). I was unaware of the error
console feature; I will create another new profile and test as you
requested, posting any relent info to #14007.

Could you list any and all steps you wish people to do to help you track
down this issue? I'm more than willing to assist, but I need
hand-holding to know how to assist.

Also, how about all those tickets get merged into one? It seems not
helpful to have so many tickets for seemingly the same issue.

#14099
#14130
#14007
#13722
#13982

Thanks Sukhbir, for you efforts and caring! :)