[tor-talk] TorBirdy prevents Thunderbird loading multi-OS bug: Is TorBirdy dev. dead?

Sukhbir Singh azadi at riseup.net
Wed Feb 25 06:56:42 UTC 2015

>   and #13982.
>
>   Yeah, it's a huge problem - happened to a friend, and ultimately led to me
> not redistributing TorBirdy.
>
>   But solving this bug is not as straightforward as it seems, as Jake points
> out.  Especially for Windows, it's not always easy to know what else the
> user is running and where the conflict might be.  In my friend's experience,
> it completely broke Thunderbird, and he had to back up his emails and
> reinstall.  When that happens, it's not even easy to figure out what version
> of Thunderbird they were running.
>
>   Really curious as to the reason this bug happens, and how often, because
> right now it seems like kind of a mystery.

As we have pointed out in the tickets related to this issue, the reason
we have not released a fix is because we have not been able to reproduce
the bug, at least based on the information we have. Many users have
reported that they fixed this by creating a new profile and then
installing TorBirdy which leads me to believe that this may be related
to a conflict with some preference we are setting.

To all users who have this issue: try creating a new profile and see if
that works for you? If it does, please comment on the relevant tickets.
Bonus points if there is something on the error console that is worth
looking at (Ctrl+Shift+J).

--
Sukhbir