[tor-talk] TorBirdy prevents Thunderbird loading multi-OS bug: Is TorBirdy dev. dead?

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Wed Feb 25 05:16:41 UTC 2015

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> On 2/24/15, KevinB at ruggedinbox.com <KevinB at ruggedinbox.com> wrote:
>> This issue has been ongoing for months now.
>>
>> I think I read Ioerror write he isn't interested in fixing the bug for
>> Windows, but Sukhbir is willing (yet unable to even reproduce the
>> bug).
>> This bug is NOT only for Windows, it's for many OSes.
>>
>> Is TorBirdy going the way of Vidalida?
>>
>> All of these bug reports seem to be the same issue?
>>
>> #14099 (Windows 7 & FreeBSD)
>> #14130 (Xubuntu)
>> #14007 (Windows 7 & Ubuntu)
>> #13722 (LinuxMint)
>
> TorBirdy development is not dead by any means - relevant updates will
> be posted to the bugs as progress is made. I've personally not been
> able to reproduce this bug - which is part of the issue with solving
> it.

   and #13982.

   Yeah, it's a huge problem - happened to a friend, and ultimately led
to me not redistributing TorBirdy.

   But solving this bug is not as straightforward as it seems, as Jake
points out.  Especially for Windows, it's not always easy to know what
else the user is running and where the conflict might be.  In my
friend's experience, it completely broke Thunderbird, and he had to back
up his emails and reinstall.  When that happens, it's not even easy to
figure out what version of Thunderbird they were running.

   Really curious as to the reason this bug happens, and how often,
because right now it seems like kind of a mystery.

~Griffin

--
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
― Dr. Seuss