[tor-talk] Tor over SSH (torsocks) (?)

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Mon Feb 16 22:56:34 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-16 03:30, blobby at openmailbox.org wrote:
> On 2015-02-16 02:31, Dave Warren wrote:

>>> I prefer to run an SSH hidden service on the VPS.
>>
>> I'd tend to agree; if you control the endpoint, set it up as a hidden
>> service rather than having Tor exit node involved at all.
>>
>> While running hidden services alongside non-hidden services introduces
>> some risks, most of these are less significant when connecting to SSH
>> on a server that you control.
>
> I don't think I phrased my question very well. I'm not running a
> hidden server. I'm just logging in to a shared VPS to ftp. etc, rather
> than logging in to a control panel over HTTPS.
>
> I just want a simple way to do "ssh IP port" but with Tor.

Understood. But the suggestion is that you SHOULD run a hidden server to
listen for SSH connections over Tor as this will be far more reliable
and secure than having to rely on an exit node.

The rest of the server doesn't need to be a hidden server, and SSH can
still listen as both a Tor hidden server and a regular public server,
but by making it a hidden server within Tor, you remove one of the major
risk factors of using Tor: The exit node.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/