[tor-talk] Removal of Vidalia content from our website

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Feb 10 01:50:22 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 05:09:00PM +0100, intrigeri wrote:
> Kevin wrote (09 Feb 2015 15:59:53 GMT) :
> > Why is it no longer supported?
>
> Because there are better options for the use cases the Tor Project is
> actively supporting, and nobody has volunteered to maintain Vidalia
> upstream in the last few years.

Right. This is not an announcement of a change in policy. The policy
change happened, naturally, many years ago, when nobody was around to
maintain Vidalia and nobody did anything to fix that.

This thread is simply letting people know that we noticed that the last
remaining Vidalia bundles on the download page hadn't been updated in
many months either, meaning the libraries they contained (like openssl)
hadn't been updated either, so it was harmful to leave them up for users
to stumble across.

Thanks Sebastian!
--Roger