[tor-talk] When you forget to pay your Internet Bill,

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Sun Feb 8 16:11:54 UTC 2015

>I think it shows Tor Browser can resist even the strongest forms of
> censorship. Like it bypassed an ISP Block.

I'd say in this case, it's more a case of the ISP going quite light with
the form of blocking they put in place - they've implemented a means of
reminding you to pay your bill without breaking non HTTP applications.

If you were to continue to fail to pay your bill, it's highly unlikely that
Tor would get you past the blocks that would then be implemented.

That TWC decided to remind you in that way is definitely a good thing -
last time I was late (it was quite a while back) my ISP tried something
similar, but didn't put any thought into the fact that there are
applications that don't use port 80 and will break as a result of their
redirection strategy.

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 3:42 PM, <ATorUser at mail2tor.com> wrote:

> I am a loyal user of the Internet Time Warner Cable and I forgot to pay my
> bill. Keep in mind that I've had Time Warner Cable for almost a year now
> and I've never forgot to pay my bill. This morning I was accessing the
> Internet fine without any issues. I also was using BitTorrent (not over
> Tor, to download Linux Mint) and everything worked fine, literally I was
> getting the speed of 5MBPS over BitTorrent. At 8AM (my download completed)
> my Internet Stopped working. I had just finished installing Linux Mint. I
> then went to my Xbox and it connected and still connects to Xbox Live and
> Netflix fine. So I open Firefox to see if the Internet was working and I
> got a message saying I needed to pay my bill to resume my normal Internet
> activities. Currently I'm waiting for my check from work. I then thought
> the following "Wait Netflix on Xbox works fine" and then I pinged an IP
> Address (Google's DNS Server 8.8.8.8) and it worked fine. So then I
> thought Time Warner Cable must be using some HTTP Filtering Technology. So
> I downloaded Tor Browser using my Android Device and I transfered it to my
> computer. I then set it up to use obfs3 and I was then able to connect to
> the Internet fine. I will be paying my bill soon but it shows how Powerful
> the Tor Network Is.
>
> What do you think?
>
> I think it shows Tor Browser can resist even the strongest forms of
> censorship. Like it bypassed an ISP Block.
>
> Obviously I'm going to pay my bill. Probably sometime on Monday Morning.
>
> Anyways Tor Browser was very useful to me.
>
> I just wanted to thank everyone in the Tor Community for developing such a
> great product.
>
> I'm not writing this to say Screw Your Provider and Never Pay A Bill Again
> but rather I'm thanking the Tor Community for developing such a powerful
> censorship solution. I also am very loyal to my provider and I will
> obviously will be paying them tomorrow morning.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --

Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk