[tor-talk] "Confidant Mail"

Seth list at sysfu.com
Wed Feb 4 14:37:56 UTC 2015

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 21:28:42 -0800, Andrew Roffey <andrew at roffey.org>
wrote:
> I don't suppose one could purchase a dummy domain with Namecheap and
> then ask them to sign a certificate for the real domain (with another
> provider)? I suspect not, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's a damn fine questionp. My guess without doing any testing would be
'no' as well.

During the four step order process, you are presented you with a selection
of administrative domain email contact addresses where you want the
approval and delivery emails sent. I believe these are pulled
automatically from the registered domain(s) in the account. It's been a
few months since I've run through the wizard so I can't remember exactly.

I wouldn't touch StartCOM with a ten foot pole myself, but other people
seem to like them. The whole certificate authority business is a joke, but
whaddya do. We're held hostage by this oligopoly of web browser software
vendors.

I think projects like DNSchain are the way to resolve most of the problems
with DNS and encryption certificates. Check out okturtles.com