[tor-talk] "Confidant Mail"

CJ tor at tengu.ch
Wed Feb 4 05:58:28 UTC 2015

On 02/04/2015 06:19 AM, Seth wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 20:01:36 -0800, Andrew Roffey <andrew at roffey.org>
> wrote:
>>  - there is a cost of obtaining HTTPS signatures.
>
> Not certain if the deal is still being offered, but for quite a while
> you could get a free TLS/SSL certificate good for one year when
> registering or transferring a domain to namecheap.com
>
> Then if you needed to renew it, or just buy more, you could pick them up
> for $2/yr just by purchasing another qualifying product, such a year of
> whoisguard for $2.88.
>
> Point being, the cost of certificates can be negligible if you know
> where to look.

not to mention StartSSL and their free certificates… Well, ok, maybe not
the cleanest and trustworthy thing, but you can still provide the CSR,
meaning you own the key. And they support 4096b with sha2…

Back to Confidant Mail: interesting project, kind of reminds me of
BitMessage, though it seems to be more usable (by far).

Might be interesting to see how it might be linked to something like
Syncthing[1]

Just one thought: as it uses UDP, *traffic* won't go through Tor, right?

[1] http://syncthing.net/