[tor-talk] ATOMIC BANJO and LEVITATION used by CSE

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Mon Feb 2 21:56:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 01:44:05PM -0800, Seth wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 13:37:58 -0800, Paul Syverson
> <paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>
> >The point was that there was a bunch of stuff we started doing at NRL
> >in 1995 we called "onion routing" including what we eventually called
> >Tor.  Some people not at NRL designed, and in some cases built, other
> >systems using the same onion routing principles (e.g. the Freedom
> >Network that Zero Knowledge Systems ran c. 2000-2001,
>
> ZKS Freedom! ..blast from the past, I think I was one of the 50 people that
> signed up for a paid subscription, it was way ahead of its time. Was always
> suspicious of the timing of their shutdown right after 9/11.

Tinfoil hat brigade will probably not believe anything I say, but for
the rest of you: I was talking to them about licensing the onion
routing patent and other things right up until they shut the network
down. I feel confident this was simply a business decision. Ian and/or
Adam may care to say more (or not).

aloha,
Paul