[tor-talk] ATOMIC BANJO and LEVITATION used by CSE

spencerone at openmailbox.org spencerone at openmailbox.org
Mon Feb 2 21:14:15 UTC 2015

> mirimir[at]riseup.net:
>> spencerone[at]openmailbox.org:
>>> paul.syverson[at]nrl.navy.mil:

>>> Awesome, that kinda makes sense, tough, given that Tor is THE onion
>>> router, I think referring to Tor as TOR is still accurate :)
>
> No, Tor is not "THE onion router". It's _an_ onion router :)
>
> You should rather say Tor is not _the_ onion routing, it's _an_ onion
> routing: cf. p. 129 again---except this is not the 'the' of definite
> description but the 'the' of "The original and still the best". (I got
> this phrase from Roger Needham in 1993.  He was talking about BAN
> logic, and said he got the phrase from a shoe polish tin.)
>
> aloha,
> Paul

"The original and still the best" is what THE means to me :) Though
[ing] vs [er] seems debatable since Tor is a thing that does onion-like
layered routing.

But, to understand more, are the other onion routing projects
implementing their own onion routing protocol or are they implementing
Tor? I could investigate this myself but I don't know enough to figure
out the difference unless explicitly stated.

Wordlife,
SpencerOne