[tor-talk] Tor -> VPN Clarification

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Feb 1 22:46:13 UTC 2015

On 2/1/2015 3:51 PM, l.m wrote:
> Now I'm not saying either is better [Case 1, Tor connect to a VPN; Case 2, VPN connect to Tor]
> but I prefer the one with more variables in my favor.
>
> --leeroy
Thanks.  I read Case 1 & 2 - couple times (need a few more).
I gather the one with "more variables in my favor" is Case 2 - Using VPN
to connect to Tor?
That is the one (some) have said is definitely not good - yes? Still
others may have said that VPN  connecting to Tor, isn't as bad as some
have indicated?

Observation:  There are a LOT of assumptions about VPNs & adversaries.
And they may / could be true.  Just sayin'.
The scenarios you describe, would almost seem to say (equivalent of):
"Either of these is *full* of pitfalls, but since I'm gonna die if I
don't do something, I can pick one (then pray)."

Reason I ask (about using Tor & *anything* else), is I need to do some
legitimate, online research.
Not political / terrorist issues, etc., nor anything socially taboo.
But still something I don't want anyone looking over my shoulder.

And I'm not sure if using TBB by itself (in Windows) is "good enough."