[tor-talk] Why is 'Wgm' (middle-relay-for-guard weight) not zero?

tor_talk at arcor.de tor_talk at arcor.de
Tue Dec 15 02:14:50 UTC 2015

hi starlight

to your text
> it seems that middle relays have a weight equal to guard relays when guard selection occurs [...]
> ... understand the purpose

there are several possible answers for such a purpose

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/improving-tors-anonymity-changing-guard-parameters
Improving Tor's anonymity by changing guard parameters

https://mice.cs.columbia.edu/getTechreport.php?techreportID=1545
On the Effectiveness of Traffic Analysis Against Anonymity Networks Using Flow Records

to your subject
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/plain/path-spec.txt
"   For all circuits, we weight node selection according to router bandwidth."

if a node's weight is zero there might be not enough router bandwidth for (another) Tor user

you don't want to be the only Tor user who isn't squeezed out of this circuit and have to remain for a deanonymization attack