[tor-talk] IBM says Block Tor

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Sun Aug 30 23:48:17 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-30 11:24, Martijn Grooten wrote:

>> >But that is not a reason to block torproject.org or even to
>> >forbid using the tor browser. It would be a reason to block
>> >exits on the corporate web servers. And these get pretty
>> >conflated in that article.
> Ouch. I stand corrected. I had missed that bit - I had only skimmed
> through the paper last week - and it does explicitly say that the Tor
> Project website should be blocked. It even suggests "disciplinary
> action" should be taken if people try to access the site. Wow.

Sure, but this is probably just a case of using too blunt an instrument;
they likely just classified "Tor" (all of it, including websites) as an
unacceptable product.

Expecting mid-level management to understand the finer points of what
Tor is, how it works, or the difference between the "website" and "the
service" and "the protocol" isn't realistic in a world where usually the
concept of a site, service and protocol are all one and the same.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/