[tor-talk] The Tor-BSD Diversity Project

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Thu Apr 30 20:02:26 UTC 2015

On 04/30/2015 05:27, Apple Apple wrote:
> It's 2015 and FreeBSD is still lacking basic security mechanisms such as
> ASLR. It also seems to me that the community's ideological licencing
> crusade is holding the entire project back. They condemn anything GPL and
> will substitute inferior tools instead, I.e. ksh instead of bash, virtual
> box instead of xen etc. As a project they seem to spend most of their time
> rewriting GPL projects just to slap a BSD licence on it (bhyve or whatever
> they call it for example) which doesn't really help anyone. It's like
> Canonical dicking around with Unity and Mir. Complete waste of everyone's
> time.

Bash can't be considered superior to anything due to its instability. It
is in forever-work-in-progress mode, without gaining any stability over
time. Last week I found another bug in bash just by pressing "backspace"
button in the middle of some command. Bash team officially refuses to
maintain any bug tracking tools, and uses the mailing list instead. So
the bugs I reported years ago are still not fixed, and there is no
formal record of them that can be easily searched. Bash departed from
the very stable and solid Bourne shell, and turned into a mess. Today
Bourne shell in FreeBSD is far superior to the current bash for the
reason of its stability, among other reasons. I have spent an extensive
time with both, and wrote thousands of lines in shell, and this is my
conclusion. And here goes the credibility of your opinion for me.

Yuri