[tor-talk] New site attempting to help Tor grow

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Fri Apr 17 19:36:06 UTC 2015

Thanks for your effort.

- From a "customer" perspective I'm missing some crucial information on
your website:
- - what bandwidth (mbps or TB per month) does this relay add to the
network? (I understand that it is hard to estimate but if the data
plan allows only lets say 1TB per month you should make that clear)
- - am I adding an exit or non-exit relay?

More experienced "customers" might want to know:
- - What characteristics has the relay? how much memory?
- - Where are you going to run the sponsored relay?
	AS? Country? hosting provider?
	from your first relay: AS393406, US, Digital Ocean
- - What OS are you going to use? (apparently Linux)
- - Can I select location/OS/bw/.. ?
- - Do you provide bw monitoring and traffic stats? (i.e. munin and vnstat
)
- - Can I choose to run 2 instances per server? (which results in more
traffic)

I understand that you might want to keep this website simple since you
target non-technical persons but providing that information wouldn't
hurt. It doesn't have to be on the main page.

I hope you also consider the following points:

- - proper automatic MyFamily configuration on all your relays
- - keep your relays up to date
- - network and platform diversity (this becomes more relevant once you
run a substantial part of the tor network)
	- run relays in non-top x countries/ASes/... by consensus weight
		https://compass.torproject.org
	- run non-Linux relays
		https://metrics.torproject.org/platforms.html

Do you "pre-run" relays and rename them as soon as they are "ordered"
to reduce the bootstrap phase?