[tor-talk] New site attempting to help Tor grow

social at sponsor-privacy.com social at sponsor-privacy.com
Fri Apr 17 15:43:01 UTC 2015

Gareth, appreciate the feedback, here are some responses to your
questions:

On 2015-04-17 09:19, Gareth Llewellyn wrote:
> We're working on doing something similar at BrassHornCommunications.uk
> with
> a 'Bridges on Demand' offering which'll spin up a new private bridge
> *(tick
> box config for choosing meek plugins etc)* and provisions with Chef /
> Ansible.
>
> *Questions:*
> Will you be open sourcing any of your automation tools?

I have thought about this as it might allow others to spin up a similar
site. The issue right now is a lot of the
account specific parameters are hard-coded so I need to work on pulling
those out before making it something other
groups could use. Being an OSS fan though the idea is to at some point
make the code public. The truth is though
that all we're really doing is calling various APIs from other vendors,
chaining them together and wrapping it in
some logic. I wish it was a lot cooler than that but the app itself is
pretty plain.

> Will all your relays be within the same AS / DC or spread about?

As of today they are placed randomly between two different DCs from a
single provider. On the "TODO" list though is
to expand that so that we're using multiple providers and multiple DCs.

> Are you using OpenVZ / KVM et al / dedicated servers or 3rd party VPS
> services e.g. Amazon for each relay?

We are using 3rd party VPS services currently.

> *Feedback:*
> No mention of what legal entity operates this website, the domain is
> registered to an individual with obfuscated whois so I'd be skeptical
> of
> just putting in a credit card number, more so that there is no
> indication
> of who will process the transaction *(although looking through the
> source
> it appears to be stripe.com <http://stripe.com>)* and no option for
> paypal
> / IBAN transfer etc.
>
> No IPv6 makes me sad

With regard to your feedback about the entity operating the website,
this was honestly my biggest fear and probably
something I'll need to address sooner rather than later. Initially I
just wanted to get something out to see if this
was really a service people would use before going through all of the
paperwork of creating a non-profit. As you've probably
figured out by now this is not a full-time gig for anyone involved so we
wanted to test the waters a bit before committing
100%. I suppose that based on your feedback though that the stats might
be skewed if others are sharing your same opinion.
You are correct that we are using Stripe to process our payments. It
might be worth it for me to add a blurb below the
form mentioning that.

Again, thank you for the feedback!