[tor-talk] Why obfs4 bridges aren't work in Tails?

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Apr 16 17:25:08 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have sent you a private email with some tested obfs4 bridges
operated by me. The bridges are public (in Bridge-db) but I'm not
sending them here for the entire mail list to know your entries in the
Tor network. After you test, if working, feel free to use them as much
as you want, or fetch other obfs4 bridges from Bridge-db.

If the bridges won't work, we should investigate further and let Tails
team know about it, if it's a bug, but I don't think so.

On Debian Wheezy 64bit with Tor 0.2.5.10 and obfs4proxy installed from
deb.torproject.org/torproject.org obfs4proxy main (via apt-get) 3
obfs4 bridges out of a total of 31 crashed with no error or warn in
Tor log.

/var/log/tor was an empty file
/var/log/tor/log.1 (log rotation) had in the last lines the regular
heartbeat notices, with info about total circuits, relayed traffic, [...
]

Simply started the Tor daemon again on these 3 servers and they are up
and running, no problem. Will keep an eye on this.

Yawning (CC'ed) made some updates and improvements to obfs4proxy for
better detection of process crash. Is the latest version of obfs4proxy
in the repository deb.torproject.org/torproject.org obfs4proxy main so
we can update in Debian simply with apt-get?