[tor-talk] TorBirdy seems to connect to the same exit node again and again

Sophie Hassfurther sophie at sophiehassfurther.com
Mon Apr 13 19:53:19 UTC 2015

Hi Leeroy,

> It would be highly unusual to be connected to the same exit if your
> mail servers use standard ports. If I'm not mistaken the port you're
> using for outgoing mail (25) is currently only allowed in the exit
> policy of 3 exits.
Thanks for looking into my troubleshooting info and all the in depth
info. Actually using the default port 587 works, and I can't figure out
why and when I ever changed this setting to port 25. *rolleyes*

> This hurts your anonymity, and makes the problem
> more apparent.
This was my gut feeling, thanks for pointing it out.

How do I look up which ports work on which exit nodes? I tried searching
Atlas, but I didn't find out how to do a reverse search.

I will keep track of the exit nodes TorBirdy connects to, to find out
whether the problem persists. Thanks to goofyzrnssm for reminding me how
to do so and for forwarding the detailed instructions from security in a
box!

As for OS: I am currently on an older version of OSX, but with no
intention to
stick with it (for many reasons, mainly the phone home problem in
yosemity). So my whole setup will change soonish.

As for
> Other things, included for completeness, to try include checking for
> torrc modifications:
The torrc files are ok.

> 1b. close Thunderbird completely
> 2b. use new identity in Tor Browser
> 3b. reopen mail.
Yes, this has always reset the exit node.

Thanks to everyone involved for your help. It is much appreciated!

S.