[tor-talk] TorBirdy seems to connect to the same exit node again and again

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Apr 13 18:57:13 UTC 2015

On 04/13/2015 10:15, l.m wrote:
> Explicitly closing circuits completely would break third-party
> applications in unpredictable ways. It would generate errors that
> would lead to posts to tor support describing weird application
> behaviour. On the other hand explicitly closing application related
> streams requires tor to be aware of the processes using it. Which
> means additional logic to handle not just source port per application
> stream but also source address (for the shared tor instance). If
> you've seen the backlog of tickets you would understand why a major
> change like this is not ideal.
>
> If there's a problem. Either of applications not closing the
> connection, or a server not closing the connection. These are problems
> that should be fixed--not hidden by tor. That isn't to say what you
> propose isn't a good idea, just it might be better left to custom
> controllers. I think tor-devs might prefer to avoid feature creep.

I understand your concerns. But I would also like to point out that "New
Identity" for most implies new identity for everything. This is how, I
believe, majority of technically not very savvy mass users thinks.

Also, tolerance to the broken connections is supposed to be built into
most modern well-behaved apps. At least that is what is reasonably
expected from the apps in the world when poor connections, ex. barely
functioning WiFi, is a commonplace.

So I would say that the users should be given such option, provided they
are informed of what it actually does.

Yuri