[tor-talk] Any free email service can work with Tor

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 03:02:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Crypto <crypto at jpunix.net> wrote:
> Actually I've been doing exactly that for some time now. I rent a VPS
> instance for $5/mo and host my own email server

For private personal use that's good as long as it meets
whatever privacy and other needs you might have.

I meant for people to consider deploying such services
for the public. Such that when this question comes up
every month, the standard reply, instead of being riseup
and a few others... would end up pointing to a wiki full of
dozens of alternatives that are friendly to Tor users and
privacy/anonymity seekers.

We see some alternative providers out there, but as with
mail.ru, almost none of them state in writing that they
won't later... decide to lock you out for using Tor proxy
or migrate to requiring a phone or secondary mail.
In other words, they aren't making a defacto support.

I'd bet that mail.ru still accepts mail for those locked
accounts too, instead of properly bouncing them and
letting the holder retrieve the archive and then delete
their account.

So mail.ru just went the path that gmail, outlook
and yahoo went... from being open to being closed.

Just like running a Tor exit relay, there's a lot that
goes into running a Tor/privacy/anonymity friendly
mail (or other) service. We need more of those.

More legit users on more of those might force
the big guys back to the table.