[tor-talk] more sites requiring captchas from Cloudfare (using Google API?)

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 22:37:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> wrote:
> I think pushback
> from actual CloudFlare customers will carry far more weight

Via Tor, I tried to buy some stuff (Stuff) through a shop (Newegg)
that clears its transactions (Bitcoin) through a processor (Bitpay)
with which it contracts. Said processor contracts with a website
protector (Cloudflare). I entered the correct captcha (my
undistinguishable rate over this was about 50%) to each
captcha Cloudflare presented via the Newegg Bitpay embed. After
about 20 tries including some complete new sessions and newnyms
and wasting two hours of my time never once passing and being given
the BTC address to pay, I gave up and went to my local retailer.

Insofar as we are their customers (our purchases are the
source of funds for Cloudflare through this contractual chain), they
lost a sale. Is that due to Tor? I cannot say. But I can say it's dumb.