[tor-talk] Don't use sectoor

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Tue Sep 16 21:03:19 UTC 2014

Note: I have excluded sectoor.de from this message

Public shaming of companies does work, there is a good/bad ISP list
below which can always be subtlely mentioned when communicating with ISPs:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

However, I think it is a step in the wrong direction to start publicly
bring a support email into the public domain without discussing it
privately first. In addition, you didn't link this "public
information" part in your email to them. The problem of ISPs usually
is not that they don't like Tor, but most of the time they simply
don't understand it and approaching like this is not going to change
that. Instead, if this were me (and I have dealt with many, many
companies in the past) I would approach asking if they would consider
allowing Tor on the basis you could perhaps reach an agreement over
handling abuse issues for example. If that didn't work, even asking if
they would accept non-exits instead is at least a step in the right
direction.

If they don't move from their position, then it is always open to ask
tor-talk for assistance in convincing them or perhaps ask for advice
on what arguments you can use in persuading them. I have even offered
in the past (and this offer remains open btw) to assist in talking to
ISPs to change their policy. Some methods work, some don't, but
turning this into a you vs us scenario with an ISP won't work because
ultimately they don't give a shit about one customer unless that one
customer is bringing large amounts of revenue.

Regards,
- -T