[tor-talk] Misogyny on tor-talk is an existential threat to Tor (was: Re: Comcast looking for Tor traffic, contacting customers to threaten termination of service.)

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Mon Sep 15 17:15:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 10:00 -0700, Damian Johnson wrote:
> > This is to the side of your main point (with which I am largely in
> > agreement), and I mean this in the most serious and respectful way
> > possible: can you point to statistics, metrics, data that support this
> > point?
> >
> > I suspect the opposite is true, but I very much want to know the real
> > facts, in so far as they can be obtained. I know the anecdotal and
> > theoretical arguments on both sides, but I find facts much harder to come
> > by.
> >
> > I would and will be happy to have my suspicions proven wrong. But isn't
> > part of the point (and problem) of Tor and similar hidden services that
> > nobody is really in a position to know the truth about critical
> > propositions like this one?
>
> Andrew, Tor's executive director, works directly with domestic abuse
> victim organizations quite a bit so he could likely talk to this. As
> for stats, I'm not sure what kind of numbers you mean but obviously
> with a decentralized anonymity network we don't have figures for how
> it's used. :)
>
> As to Ted's point about list moderation, Karsten and I have been
> managing the lists from a Mailman perspective but neither of us are
> interested in policing threads. I hope tor-talk@ stays civil enough
> that it doesn't require moderation but if it doesn't then someone else
> (would need to be well known by us within the community) would need to
> take that role.

I've seen Andrew comment on threads saying "I'm killing this thread"
from time to time -- I think this moderation has been extremely helpful
in the past, and if Andrew has gotten too busy to participate in
gardening the mailing lists, I hope his successors keep up this
practice. Just to clarify.

- Ted

--
Sent from Ubuntu