[tor-talk] Misogyny on tor-talk is an existential threat to Tor (was: Re: Comcast looking for Tor traffic, contacting customers to threaten termination of service.)

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Sep 15 17:00:06 UTC 2014

> This is to the side of your main point (with which I am largely in
> agreement), and I mean this in the most serious and respectful way
> possible: can you point to statistics, metrics, data that support this
> point?
>
> I suspect the opposite is true, but I very much want to know the real
> facts, in so far as they can be obtained. I know the anecdotal and
> theoretical arguments on both sides, but I find facts much harder to come
> by.
>
> I would and will be happy to have my suspicions proven wrong. But isn't
> part of the point (and problem) of Tor and similar hidden services that
> nobody is really in a position to know the truth about critical
> propositions like this one?

Andrew, Tor's executive director, works directly with domestic abuse
victim organizations quite a bit so he could likely talk to this. As
for stats, I'm not sure what kind of numbers you mean but obviously
with a decentralized anonymity network we don't have figures for how
it's used. :)

As to Ted's point about list moderation, Karsten and I have been
managing the lists from a Mailman perspective but neither of us are
interested in policing threads. I hope tor-talk@ stays civil enough
that it doesn't require moderation but if it doesn't then someone else
(would need to be well known by us within the community) would need to
take that role.

Cheers! -Damian