[tor-talk] Comcast looking for Tor traffic, contacting customers to threaten termination of service.

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Sun Sep 14 11:27:00 UTC 2014

On 09/13/2014 10:59 PM, Griffin Boyce wrote:
> John Pinkman wrote:
>>>    As for PinkMeth, disgusting people do disgusting things all the time
>>> without using Tor.  If I could burn that hidden service to the ground, I
>>> would, but that doesn't solve the underlying problem in our society.
>>
>> PinkMeth case only points out the underlying problem in society, which
>> doesn't accept certain types of behavior. The service itself, just
>> like the internet in general, only allows information to be freely
>> distributed. And people make their own conclusions based on it. If
>> these conclusions end up being not very likable, this isn't the fault
>> of the particular service.
>
>   Give me a break.  These women are being exploited against their will.
> Taking something private and exposing it to the world as a whole is
> completely despicable.  It's unethical.  It's not comparable to
> pornography where consenting adults agree to make media and release it.

In Tor's design document,[0] there's this:

| Finally, we note that exit abuse must not be dismissed as a
| peripheral issue: when a system's public image suffers, it can
| reduce the number and diversity of that system's users, and
| thereby reduce the anonymity of the system itself. Like
| usability, public perception is a security parameter.

I consider PinkMeth to be far worse, and far worse for Tor's public
image, than anything I've seen before. It dehumanizes and exploits the
women, of course. But it also corrupts and perverts its users, and puts
them at risk, by encouraging libelous actions.

On the other hand, it seems to me that any perception that the Tor
community had attacked PinkMeth would also harm Tor's public image. That
job must be left to police and private investigators.

[0] https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/design-paper/tor-design.html