[tor-talk] keeping torcloud alive

stn stn at ncf.ca
Sat Sep 13 02:56:00 UTC 2014

hi,
new talk subscriber. i'm
volunteering to help keep torcloud alive by offering help even though i
can't be primary maintainer.

i recently got a torcloud  node up and running. $3 month first year is
quite good. stable and once going no hassles.  i like the idea. less
prone to outages than my home isp etc.

i did so because i have yet to build a good box for my home connection
to service a torbridge for residential broadband

(suggestions as to what to use welcome.  pcbsd, debian or ubuntu flavour
etc.  i'm using older h/w likely dual core 2.3ghz.  i think i have 4 gig
ram but willing to invest in more.)

i can see the value keeping torcloud alive even if users stick with it
for only a year of low cost donation.

no one knows me so i cannot handle sensitive procedures but i'm willing
to help take other work off someone's hands that doesn't involve the
required trust level.  eg update documentation and field help once i
know process a bit better.

in a support message lunar mentioned torcloud needs a maintainer.
perhaps having a helper might make it easier for someone to apply their
name to it?

since tor requires consistent uptime i can see torcloud being an asset.
as much as i'll try to get a solid nix box going at home i suspect
torcloud node might be more reliable vs people like me building boxes
and running nix fulltime at home to service tor. (?)

steve