[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.5.7-rc is released
nickm at torproject.org
Fri Sep 12 01:41:20 UTC 2014
Changes in version 0.2.5.7-rc - 2014-09-11
Tor 0.2.5.7-rc fixes several regressions from earlier in the 0.2.5.x
release series, and some long-standing bugs related to ORPort reachability
testing and failure to send CREATE cells. It is the first release
candidate for the Tor 0.2.5.x series.
The source is ready today; packages should be ready in the next several days.
(I'm taking some load off of Roger's shoulders by doing releases
myself. This means that the signatures on the release are made with
my PGP key, not Roger's. Please don't freak out. Please remember to
o Major bugfixes (client, startup):
- Start making circuits as soon as DisabledNetwork is turned off.
When Tor started with DisabledNetwork set, it would correctly
conclude that it shouldn't build circuits, but it would mistakenly
cache this conclusion, and continue believing it even when
DisableNetwork is set to 0. Fixes the bug introduced by the fix
for bug 11200; bugfix on 0.2.5.4-alpha.
- Resume expanding abbreviations for command-line options. The fix
for bug 4647 accidentally removed our hack from bug 586 that
rewrote HashedControlPassword to __HashedControlSessionPassword
when it appears on the commandline (which allowed the user to set
her own HashedControlPassword in the torrc file while the
controller generates a fresh session password for each run). Fixes
bug 12948; bugfix on 0.2.5.1-alpha.
- Warn about attempts to run hidden services and relays in the same
process: that's probably not a good idea. Closes ticket 12908.
o Major bugfixes (relay):
- Avoid queuing or sending destroy cells for circuit ID zero when we
fail to send a CREATE cell. Fixes bug 12848; bugfix on 0.0.8pre1.
Found and fixed by "cypherpunks".
- Fix ORPort reachability detection on relays running behind a
proxy, by correctly updating the "local" mark on the controlling
channel when changing the address of an or_connection_t after the
handshake. Fixes bug 12160; bugfix on 0.2.4.4-alpha.
o Minor features (bridge):
- Add an ExtORPortCookieAuthFileGroupReadable option to make the
cookie file for the ExtORPort g+r by default.
o Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the August 7 2014 Maxmind GeoLite2
o Minor bugfixes (logging):
- Reduce the log severity of the "Pluggable transport proxy does not
provide any needed transports and will not be launched." message,
since Tor Browser includes several ClientTransportPlugin lines in
its torrc-defaults file, leading every Tor Browser user who looks
at her logs to see these notices and wonder if they're dangerous.
Resolves bug 13124; bugfix on 0.2.5.3-alpha.
- Downgrade "Unexpected onionskin length after decryption" warning
to a protocol-warn, since there's nothing relay operators can do
about a client that sends them a malformed create cell. Resolves
bug 12996; bugfix on 0.0.6rc1.
- Log more specific warnings when we get an ESTABLISH_RENDEZVOUS
cell on a cannibalized or non-OR circuit. Resolves ticket 12997.
- When logging information about an EXTEND2 or EXTENDED2 cell, log
their names correctly. Fixes part of bug 12700; bugfix
- When logging information about a relay cell whose command we don't
recognize, log its command as an integer. Fixes part of bug 12700;
bugfix on 0.2.1.10-alpha.
- Escape all strings from the directory connection before logging
them. Fixes bug 13071; bugfix on 0.1.1.15. Patch from "teor".
o Minor bugfixes (controller):
- Restore the functionality of CookieAuthFileGroupReadable. Fixes
bug 12864; bugfix on 0.2.5.1-alpha.
- Actually send TRANSPORT_LAUNCHED and HS_DESC events to
controllers. Fixes bug 13085; bugfix on 0.2.5.1-alpha. Patch
o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
- Fix compilation of test.h with MSVC. Patch from Gisle Vanem;
bugfix on 0.2.5.5-alpha.
- Make the nmake make files work again. Fixes bug 13081. Bugfix on
0.2.5.1-alpha. Patch from "NewEraCracker".
- In routerlist_assert_ok(), don't take the address of a
routerinfo's cache_info member unless that routerinfo is non-NULL.
Fixes bug 13096; bugfix on 0.1.1.9-alpha. Patch by "teor".
- Fix a large number of false positive warnings from the clang
analyzer static analysis tool. This should make real warnings
easier for clang analyzer to find. Patch from "teor". Closes
o Distribution (systemd):
- Verify configuration file via ExecStartPre in the systemd unit
file. Patch from intrigeri; resolves ticket 12730.
- Explicitly disable RunAsDaemon in the systemd unit file. Our
current systemd unit uses "Type = simple", so systemd does not
expect tor to fork. If the user has "RunAsDaemon 1" in their
torrc, then things won't work as expected. This is e.g. the case
on Debian (and derivatives), since there we pass "--defaults-torrc
/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc" (that contains
"RunAsDaemon 1") by default. Patch by intrigeri; resolves
- Adjust the URLs in the README to refer to the new locations of
several documents on the website. Fixes bug 12830. Patch from
- Document 'reject6' and 'accept6' ExitPolicy entries. Resolves
More information about the tor-talk