[tor-talk] Should I upgrade my android tablet to 4.4.2?

dwd2007 at fastmail.fm dwd2007 at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 7 16:54:01 UTC 2014

I use the Tor bundle on my Apple 10.6.8 and Orbot on my Android tablet
4.2.2, strictly as a client. I am also technologically-challenged, hence
this message for help. I apologize if doesn't belong on this list, so
redirect me if necessary. Recently, the opportunity has presented itself
to upgrade the Android 4.2.2 to the 4.4.2 Kit Kat version, and I am
undecided as to what to do because of my inability to interpret Google's
cautionary disclaimer, to wit:
    "Cautions:
        1. Google has changed the external storage policy for Android
        4.4x KitKat. Now only the preloaded system applications
            have permission to write files to external storage (micro SD
            card). Third party applications you may have installed will
            lose write access to he micro SD card. If you would like to
            retain micro SD cad write permission for third-party
            applications as found in Android 4.2x Jelly Bean, just skip
            this software update notification and NEVER execute
            "Download Now" to update to Android 4.4x.
        2. After updating the software you will not be able to downgrade
        to older software versions because of updates to the
            security policy."
So, my problem is that I do not understand the consequences of the
upgrade to my existing (mainly privacy/security-oriented) applications
and any future applications I may want to employ. Further, will the
upgrade prevent me from rooting the device in future (I also need help
on this, too)?
Much obliged for setting me straight.
Booneavenueboy