[tor-talk] Dropping Tor Browser support for Mac OSX 10.6?

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Wed Sep 3 04:21:44 UTC 2014

Mac OS 10.6 has been end-of-life since either September 2013 (last
security update) or February 2014, depending on how you count:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/03/snow-leopard-updates-are-probably-done-here-are-your-os-x-upgrade-options/

Our policy with dropping support in the past has been to discontinue
support for a platform when the vendor stops providing security
updates.

Moreover dropping 10.6 support would mean that we could ship 64bit-only
binaries for Mac, which would save us build time and the trouble of
assembling double-sized "fat" 32+64bit binaries, just for these already
insecure users. Moreover, these 64bit binaries could be hardened with
10.7+ hardening options.

Unfortunately, roughly 19% of Mac users were still on OSX 10.6 as of
March 2014, which is quite a lot of people. Technically these people
should be able to use Tails on their Macs, since Tails has officially
supported UEFI and Mac hardware since Tails v1.1. These ancient Mac
users would be much better off in Tails, too.

Are there any 10.6 32bit Mac users on this list? Is Tails a workable
option for you?

--
Mike Perry