[tor-talk] Bitcoin over Tor isn’t a good idea (Alex Biryukov / Ivan Pustogarov story)

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Tue Oct 28 21:30:25 UTC 2014

Great!
One question: how did you configure your Bitcoin node to be functional
on v4,v6 and .onion at the same time?

For example, the Tor hidden service node needs to have the following
setting in bitcoin.conf:
externalip=dsyadrvivtt34s26.onion

This will teach the daemon the .onion IP address it needs to advertise
to other peers. It has no other way to learn this address except if
you manually copy/paste it in bitcoin.conf

I don't know how this affects the v4 and v6 interfaces, do you have
multiple externalip= arguments in bitcoin.conf (in order to advertise
the public v4 and v6 addresses too)? Is it possible this way?

Can you please remove the sensitive data and copy/paste your
bitcoin.conf? I am interested only in Listen=, Bind=, proxy= and
externalip= as well as other connectivity entries.

I don't run Tor hidden bitcoin nodes and clearnet nodes at the same
time on the same instance (or even on the same server). I run bridge
Bitcoin nodes in parallel. The bridge Bitcoin nodes help broadcast the
information received from other Tor hidden peers to clearnet peers
(since we do not want an island or a separate network - the clearnet
and Tor hidden services network need to be glued together as a whole
network).

A bridge Bitcoin node is configured as a regular clearnet Bitcoin
node. Additionally, you install Tor, and simply add in bitcoin.conf:
onion=127.0.0.1:9050

Where 127.0.0.1:9050 is the Tor socks5 listener. Substitute the port
if different. This setting tells the bitcoin daemon about the channel
to reach .onion peers. For the rest of the clearnet peers it will use
as default, its own public IP. Now this node exchanges information
with .onion peers and clearnet peers simultaneous just fine,
broadcasting the information from Tor hidden peers to clearnet peers.