[tor-talk] What was the academic paper in which

Rick rerushg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 02:43:04 UTC 2014

On 10/19/2014 09:16 PM, z9wahqvh wrote:
> that McCoy et al document has been helpful to my research as well, so thank
> you.
>
> in the exchange below, there is a reference to an "assertion by DOJ" that
> has been "referenced in a few talks." Does this mean talks by DOJ or by
> someone else? Does anyone have a link to video or transcript of these
> talks? My initial searches aren't turning up anything that seems relevant.
>
> also, when you refer to an unpublished DOJ study, and Andrew responds about
> an unpublished study by grad students in Nevada, is the thought that these
> are the same studies, or two different studies?
>
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Griffin Boyce <griffin at cryptolab.net>
> wrote:
>

>> On 2014-05-25 16:35, Andrew Lewman wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 05:40:51AM -0400, griffin at cryptolab.net wrote
>>> 0.4K bytes in 0 lines about:
>>> :   Is there a good reference for the assertion by DOJ that 3% of Tor's
>>> : traffic is "bad"/used for piracy/etc?  This has been referenced in a few
>>> : talks, but was just wondering if this is written anywhere that can be
>>> easily
>>> : referenced.
>>>
>>> There was an unpublished study in Nevada by some grad students who setup
>>> a few malware defense appliances on the end of a tor exit relay. They
>>> found 3% of the traffic passing through their exit relay was tagged as
>>> malware, by however the appliance was configured to determine malware
>>> or not.

The "DoJ... 3%" reference was in the 20C3 talk (2013) by RD & JA at
about 11 minutes in. I've got the video and don't recall where I got it
but it wasn't YouTube. The talk at that point was about the perception
of Tor and a slide was put up with four bullet points, the first of
which was "Doj's aborted study finding 3% bad content on the Tor network".
Both RD & JA briefly commented on it but there's little more than what
Andrew has already conveyed. I'll be happy to transcribe that portion
here if you can't find the video.
IMO, though the 20C3 production values weren't the best, the talk itself
was one of the better ones. It's a keeper.

Good luck with your work.
Rick