[tor-talk] Tor Relay Smartphone App

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Oct 13 05:07:38 UTC 2014

Casey Rodarmor wrote:
> I just thought of an additional perk: The custom distro could
> blacklist known-bad hardware.

   I think this is a really bad idea overall, but I'd be curious to see
what this would look like in practice.  Do you detect the (unpatched for
past five years) Cisco routers on the network?  Do you flag the Intel
processor?  Is the closed-source NVIDIA driver a dealbreaker?  I think
that everything around hardware has tradeoffs.  Even if something like
this existed and worked well, there'd be a push to then just not use
whatever software had this bundled with it.

   Lots of people use Tor on not-great hardware because that's all they
have access to.

> "Don't worry user, it isn't your fault, the internet still loves you."

  :D