[tor-talk] Tor Relay Smartphone App

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Oct 13 04:07:05 UTC 2014

Casey Rodarmor wrote:
> I totally want one now. I am all for worldwide splendidness.
> I think a super worthy project might be to design and sell a minimum
> spec/size/power/price box pre-loaded with tor relay software.

   When I was working on Commotion [1], we had a few of these to run
local applications on our mesh networks -- they were really reliable and
withstood some serious abuse, which is why I recommend them.  But a
couple of years ago, I bought a $35 refurbished Dell desktop with 1GB
ram and ~1ghz processor, and it ran Tor relays beautifully.  One of the
main benefits of the software is that so much work has gone into making
it light and compatible with a myriad of systems, so that Tor doesn't
*have* to manufacture new hardware.  There are lots of issues with
hardware projects and it costs an obscene amount of money -- not to
mention the implications on security and anonymity that it would
introduce.

   I do agree that there should be a note about what a base level system
looks like.  Most of the documentation is in the process of being
rewritten, and this would be a great addition.  The discussions around
what is the ideal minimum for a new tor node to contribute are ongoing,
and will impact the recommendations.

> Create a disk image of a free operating system that boots and tries to
> run the best node it can with whatever hardware it happens to have. It
> might also try to upgrade and apply security patches to the operating
> system and get the latest version of tor.

   This could work, but would need a maintainer.  Lots of hosts have
pre-made images for other uses, and there are projects like
VirtualBoxes[2] that might be good places to distribute these.  An
easier way would probably be to use something like a python/bash script
or an ansible playbook to install dependencies, set permissions, and
detect speed to configure the torrc.

> Raise as much money for the project as possible. We shall assume that
> we
> are able to raise 1 hojillion US dollars.

   Just think of the amazing improvements to software and education we
could do with a hojillion dollars! :D

> Spam computer manufacturers with the specs from #1

   The thing is, the ideal minimum specs to run a tor relay are really
low.  Anything you can buy that *isn't* a raspi/beaglebone will probably
do okay.  Even the Novena board can run relays.  Even refurbished $35
computers can run relays.  This is a long-solved problem.  Tor doesn't
need to solve it all over again.

> Revel in how awesome the internet is.

   Done and done.

> * Status light that shows when it's connected to the network, if it's
> firewalled, and when there is tor network activity, to debug and give
> me
> the warm fuzzies that I'm helping internet freedom.

   James Vasile from OpenITP has a design in mind for a fire display
attached to an ARM process. It's not very earth-friendly though ='(

TL;DR: Hardware projects are awful. That way lies dragons.

best,
Griffin

[1] https://commotionwireless.net/
[2] http://virtualboxes.org/

--
"I believe that usability is a security concern; systems that do
not pay close attention to the human interaction factors involved