[tor-talk] Tor Relay Smartphone App

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Oct 13 01:47:32 UTC 2014

I wrote:
> Isis,
>
> Why, then, has there been discussion of the use of Raspberry Pis
> without mention of this?

   People have taken it upon themselves to run relays on raspis, but
that's not exactly Tor's fault.

   It seems really obvious not to run a relay off of an extremely
low-power computer.  IRL, I always try to convince people not to do it,
but it rarely works.  Honestly I would recommend against it even for a
bridge, but there's something to be said for having increased address
diversity at the expense of performance.  (But I *also* don't want
bridge users to be penalized for needing to use a bridge).

   Raspberry Pis are decent for most running hidden services, however
they suck royally for relays.

   But to answer your actual question: because we each only have a finite
amount of time and can't respond to every thread.  As for what to run a
relay on, there are very small servers that run about $100 that get the
job done.

   I follow the "1 rule" -- At a bare minimum, 1GB RAM & 1Ghz CPU,
connected via ethernet, with "RelayBandwidthRate 1000 KB" set in torrc.
This is for a dedicated machine that only runs a relay. Not a raspi, not
your phone, not a cafe wifi in Kamchatka. Test your internet speed
before setting up your relay and you may be pleasantly surprised at how
much throughput you can get. =) Helping the network is really important,
but you want to make sure that you're not actually hurting the network
on accident.

best,
Griffin

--
"I believe that usability is a security concern; systems that do
not pay close attention to the human interaction factors involved