[tor-talk] Wikimedia and Tor

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Wed Oct 1 20:12:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 15:50 -0400, Derric Atzrott wrote:
> > this is extremely interesting--thank you! but would this work for Tor,
> > since presumably the IPs that are blocked are those of the exit relays?
> >
> > I am proposing keeping the IPs blocked but opening them up for certain
> > logged-in accounts--I don't know if that is technically possible, but it
> > seems like a narrower solution, and also theoretically less open to
> > abuse/spoofing than unblocking entire IP addresses. (maybe.)
>
> I think you may have misunderstood.  An IP Block Exemption is a flag
> applied to a specific account that allows it to ignore IP blocks.
>
> There are two types of blocks that we use for IP addresses, hard blocks
> and soft blocks.  A hard block means that if you are using that IP address
> you cannot edit Wikipedia.  A soft block means that if you are using that
> IP address, you can edit Wikipedia, but only if logged in, and you cannot
> make an account.  Many highschools are soft-blocked.  All of Tor is hard-
> blocked.  Having the IPBE flag on your account allows you to treat all
> hard-blocks as though they are soft-blocks.

So then blocking Tor is intended to block people that temporarily have
access to large amounts of unblocked IP addresses, but usually are IP
blocked?

Who does this apply to? If a vandal has access to unblocked IP addresses
to make accounts, they can just use those to edit or sockpuppet.

--
Sent from Ubuntu