[tor-talk] Tor router requirements / best practices [was: Cloak Tor Router]

Aymeric Vitte vitteaymeric at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 16:35:53 UTC 2014

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing, or at least we see it
differently, I don't see very well what would be the use of a box acting
as a bridge, it would mean that the OP is inside your device while the
box is supposed to anonymize (as far as it can) or block the traffic
from any devices on the local network.

I don't see very well what would do the captive portal too (why port 80
only?)

Mike wrote:

"...to design a secure pairing system between Tor Browser and a Tor
router ..."

"In this mode, the Tor router could actually act as a defense-in-depth
mechanism that would block all non-proxied traffic, providing additional
protection against browser or other remote exploits, by only allowing
properly Tor-configured application traffic to exit onto the Tor network."

OK for browsing, but then you would block all the traffic for apps or
devices that you can not proxy.

As I see it the interest of such a box is to centralize the traffic of
whatever connected object you have and decide if it should be blocked or
routed through Tor or not.

I don't see an ideal design but I think the box could have as simple
interface where for any connected device the user can choose:

block (default yes)

if not blocked:

ssl : block/Tor/not Tor - default Tor

non ssl: block/Tor/not Tor - default not Tor

With the pairing system mentioned above where the user would use the FF
Tor browser if available on the device with the proxy automatically set
to the box and where the box would let go through Tor the traffic that
is proxied to it independantly of the above rules except if the device
is blocked.

Still the user would have to do some configuration but that does not
look complicate.

This assumes that you trust your local network.

--
Peersm : http://www.peersm.com
torrent-live: https://github.com/Ayms/torrent-live