[tor-talk] Tor2web support for HTTPS on .onion
giovanni.pellerano at evilaliv3.org
Tue Nov 18 09:37:11 UTC 2014
We’re happy to announce the release of Tor2web 3.1.30  that includes
support for access to .onion sites over TLS.
Tor2web is HTTP proxy server software used for accessing onion sites.
The Tor2web support for TLS includes the following security features:
- TOFU (Trust on First Use) certificate validation by caching the
fingerprint of the .onion site
- Validation of CN (Common Name) and SANs (Subject Alternative Names)
specified in the certificate of the .onion domain.
As Facebook has recently opened its own onion site , we’ve been
coordinating this release with Alec Muffett from Facebook in order to
block access to Facebook by means of the Tor2web proxy. Because Facebook
has a normal website, using Tor2web merely presents an option for users
to hurt themselves. You can see the Facebook block here:
Current Tor2web conduits are:
- tor2web.org (running 2 out of 3 servers after recent server takedown
due to CryptoWall abuses)
- tor2web.fi by Ahmia (https://ahmia.fi)
- onion.to (temporally dead after server takedown)
- tor2web.blutmagie.de (expired certificates)
We remind the community that Tor2web yearns for additional operators.
If you want to run a Tor2web conduit or otherwise support Tor2web:
- take a look at our wiki https://github.com/globaleaks/Tor2web-3.0/wiki
- join the tor2web-talk mailing list
Giovanni Pellerano - Founding Member
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights
http://logioshermes.org - https://globaleaks.org - https://tor2web.org -
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 181 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the tor-talk