[tor-talk] [tor-relays] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 07:46:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 2:43 AM, David Serrano <tor at dserrano5.es> wrote:
> On 2014-11-05 23:58:43 (-0500), grarpamp wrote:
>>
>> The real problem below is the 96% allocation of opensource to
>> Linux and 4% to Other opensource.
>
>> Someone should really do an analysis of platform vs. exit bandwidth
>> as well. Anyone?
>
> Here ya go. Observed bandwidth per OS in relays having the exit flag:
>
> 93.62% 4459816582 Linux
>  4.51%  214639363 FreeBSD
>  1.25%   59672066 Windows
>  0.25%   11754598 Darwin
>  0.17%    7896687 Bitrig
>  0.15%    6964863 OpenBSD
>  0.06%    3091495 SunOS

This excessive Linux dominance in both node count and
bandwidth really should be balanced out, like why not?
I'd expect if some of the big relays switch to any other OS
that would flatten out the bandwidth part pretty easily. You'd
have to check say the top 10, 25, 50 or so relays to see to
what extent they are part of this mess, I'm sure it's similar.